[darcs-users] Report after triaging 2.8 release blocker: what remains to be done

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Fri Oct 14 12:52:51 UTC 2011

On 10/13/2011 06:19 PM, Simon Michael wrote:
> Here's a list of changes which a couple or 10 of us could summarise down
> to release notes, which would help release planning:
> http://wiki.darcs.net/changes%20since%202.5

Thanks for starting on this Simon!

One item I see on the list looks related to the build failure I'm
getting on FreeBSD 8.1 is this:

"bumped network and HTTP dependency upper version bounds"

My build failure with 6.10.4 was this:

"src/HTTP.hs:11:42:
    Module `Network.Browser' does not export `setCheckForProxy"

I looked into this further. The setCheckForProxy change seems to have
appeared in version 4000.0.8.

Darcs appears to correctly reflect this in setup.cabal:

    HTTP    >= 4000.0.8 && < 4000.2

In my ".cabal" directory, I see that 4000.0.4 has been downloaded,
unpacked and built. Yet, darcs/cabal didn't throw an error that that the
dependency was too low, and Cabal appears to have downloaded of
the HTTP library that is too old.

I'm using:

  cabal-install version 0.6.4
  using version 1.6.0.3 of the Cabal library

This is starting to look more like a Cabal bug than a darcs issue. What
do you think?

And there's one more thing I saw in the Changes file:

> Thanks to Summersault for their generous donation!

That was my initiative. :) Thanks for the recognition.

    Mark