[darcs-users] darcs build slave

Thorkil Naur naur at post11.tele.dk
Mon Oct 17 12:14:12 UTC 2011

Hello,

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 06:34:20AM +0100, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> Oh dear! Thanks very much for your efforts.

The trouble is not specifically related to darcs, but is part of an
ongoing fight with macports to set up a suitable environment for GHC
buildbotting.  Lately, I have been more successful than earlier, as a
result of using a more recent curl, but everything seems interlocked and
one part of the installation often affects other parts in unexpected and
undesirable manners. Ian (igloo) has suggested using "homebrew", another
packaging system for Mac OS X, but I haven't decided to take that plunge
so far.

In any case, darcs is not to blame, but thanks for your concern.

Concerning the building GHC version: I have earlier installed 6.10,
6.12, and also 7.0 via Mac OS X binaries supplied by the GHC HQ. The
6.10 version continues to work, but both the 6.12 and 7.0 GHCs fail, if
I also have the libiconv library from macports installed. See, for
example:

> http://darcs.haskell.org/ghcBuilder/builders/tn23/448/7.html

Since the macports libiconv seems needed to make the git installation
work, I have decided to attempt to rely on GHCs built from source.
Presently, I have working

$ /Users/thorkilnaur/tn/install/ghc-6.12.3/bin/ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.12.3
$ /Users/thorkilnaur/tn/install/ghc-7.0.4/bin/ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.0.4
$ /Users/thorkilnaur/tn/install/ghc-7.2.1/bin/ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 7.2.1
$

in addition to the earlier

$ /Library/Frameworks/GHC.framework/Versions/610/usr/bin/ghc --version
The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.10.4
$

that continues to work. Any one or more of these could be selected for
darcs buildslave duty.

>From #darcs:

> Oct 14 08:46:33 <mornfall>      Heffalump: Without seeing all of the thread, what should I change wrt tn23 slaves?
> Oct 14 08:47:08 <mornfall>      Heffalump: (Yes, it is something only I can do currently, since it requires shell access to the buildmaster...)
> Oct 14 08:48:30 <mornfall>      Heffalump: Okey, I gather you want to move up from 6.12.2 to 6.12.3?
> Oct 14 08:49:18 <mornfall>      Heffalump: Anyone knows if I can drop -f-curl from those?
> Oct 14 13:28:40 <Heffalump>     mornfall: I think it was just to change the path to ghc
> Oct 14 13:29:00 <Heffalump>     which might have the side-effect of going from .2 to .3, but it sounded like he was talking about quite different installation paths too

Petr, I upgraded to a newer curl, so dropping -f-curl is definitely
worth trying.

Best regards
Thorkil