[darcs-users] Report after triaging 2.8 release blocker: what remains to be done

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Oct 24 17:20:09 UTC 2011

On 10/14/2011 08:52 AM, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> On 10/13/2011 06:19 PM, Simon Michael wrote:
>> Here's a list of changes which a couple or 10 of us could summarise down
>> to release notes, which would help release planning:
>> http://wiki.darcs.net/changes%20since%202.5

I wasn't sure where to stick this on the wiki page, but here's another
major change since 2.5 that's worthy of a ChangeLog mention:

A bug with annotate running out of memory has now been fixed. In fact,
it looks like an entirely new implementation of Annote may be included.

Here's what still happens with annotate with darcs 2.5:

 $ darcs annotate --human perllib/SAP/PublicPetSearch.pm
 Stack space overflow: current size 8388608 bytes.
 Use `+RTS -Ksize' to increase it.

Here's the related bug report:

Issue 1068 annotate stack overflow
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1068

I suggest that for future releases that darcs use the process of
updating the ChangeLog as you go. That has worked well for me with the
Perl projects I maintain. That why there is no major task of trying to
figure out the meaningful changes over last several months when it's
time to release.

   Mark