[darcs-users] Report after triaging 2.8 release blocker: what remains to be done

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Fri Oct 28 02:47:32 UTC 2011

On 10/13/2011 06:19 PM, Simon Michael wrote:
> Here's a list of changes which a couple or 10 of us could summarise down
> to release notes, which would help release planning:
> http://wiki.darcs.net/changes%20since%202.5

I've now reviewed the list and and made my own proposed summary:

http://wiki.darcs.net/changes%20since%202.5

The format I'm using follows what's been done for previous recent
releases, where there are basically two sections:

  "Important Changes" and "Issues Resolved".

It seems 2.8 is very close to being read to ship. There was some
discussion of disabling --packs by default, but it seems that still
needs to be done.

Also, today Ganesh nominated the bug entitled "unpull hangs forever" as
something that should be targeted for 2.8. On the one hand, I would love
it could be fixed ASAP, because I'm spending hours at work now to
downgrade to 2.4.4 as a workaround.

On the other hand, it's not a regression since 2.5.2 (it's a regression
since 2.4.4), and there no reason why a "2.8.1" release couldn't follow
shortly after 2.8 with this fix.

One positive side effect of ChangeLogging work: I found more than 10
issues in the bug tracker that had been resolved by patches, but had not
been marked as resolved in the bug tracker. I was able go ahead and mark
them as resolved and close them out.

   Mark