[darcs-users] Report after triaging 2.8 release blocker: what remains to be done

Mark Stosberg mark at summersault.com
Mon Oct 31 12:28:04 UTC 2011

On 10/28/2011 06:52 PM, Simon Michael wrote:
> On 10/27/11 7:47 PM, Mark Stosberg wrote:
>> It seems 2.8 is very close to being ready to ship.
>
> I would much prefer not to see a rush to release 2.8. We have only just
> begun to even figure out what kind of state we're in after a period of
> stagnation punctuated by regression reports.

Thanks for the feedback, Simon.

I don't see the status as being so vague. Issues to address before the
release at listed in the bug tracker for easy reference:

 http://goo.gl/im3iE

The remaining ones are nearly all due to --packs, which can be easily
removed as a default.

As much I would like "unpull hangs forever" fixed soon, I could justify
moving it to 2.8.1, since it's a not a regression from the current
release. (Although it's still a regression).

There are dozens of other interesting changes in 2.8 which are now
summarized in the draft ChangeLog on the wiki. Getting a new release out
after months of delays could be a great boost to morale, and motivate
people to dive back in to make a great 2.8.1, including --packs enabled
by default, and a fix for the "unpull hangs forever" bug.

   Mark