[darcs-users] Report after triaging 2.8 release blocker: what remains to be done

Simon Michael simon at joyful.com
Mon Oct 31 22:19:49 UTC 2011

On 10/31/11 5:28 AM, Mark Stosberg wrote:
> I don't see the status as being so vague. Issues to address before the
> release at listed in the bug tracker for easy reference:
>
>   http://goo.gl/im3iE

Hi Mark, perhaps. I don't have the same confidence that the tracker, and that subset of issues, accurately represents
the situation - I don't think we have been paying much attention to the tracker until just lately. I personally worry
about the impact of regressive/underwhelming releases on darcs and I wouldn't want throw a release over the wall without
a period of catchup testing and QA right now.

> The remaining ones are nearly all due to --packs, which can be easily
> removed as a default.
>
> As much I would like "unpull hangs forever" fixed soon, I could justify
> moving it to 2.8.1, since it's a not a regression from the current
> release. (Although it's still a regression).

Packs are the only really significant new user feature awaiting release. I'd hold the release for them - what's the
hurry ? And in any case I wouldn't ship them in a .1 bugfix release.

> There are dozens of other interesting changes in 2.8 which are now
> summarized in the draft ChangeLog on the wiki. Getting a new release out
> after months of delays could be a great boost to morale, and motivate
> people to dive back in to make a great 2.8.1, including --packs enabled
> by default, and a fix for the "unpull hangs forever" bug.

Well you could be right! Just my 2c.