[darcs-users] Mac OS X installation barriers /was Re: ANNOUNCE: darcs 2.5.2

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Sep 6 16:52:10 UTC 2011

Ash, just introducing you to Florian, our Mac package manager

Florian: would it be any trouble for you to put a darcs 2.5.2 binary
on the wiki?  We have darcs 2.8 coming up but I think there are some
unresolved issues to get through.

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 17:14:42 +0100, Ash Moran wrote:
> So whenever I collaborate with someone, I have to
> ask them to download the latest binary from the darcs.net site and
> install it manually. Because this is outside of a package management
> system, it won't be updated, so I have to ask them to update it when I
> notice a new version. This is not very scalable.

The MacPorts darcs is also slow to install due to building GHC

If I understand correctly, the GHC and Haskell Platform formulas
on just fetch a binary.

Ash: Since you have Ruby-fu, how about brew creating a darcs
formula for us?  A reasonable route, I think would be for it
to depend on Haskell Platform and cabal install a particular
darcs version (eg, `cabal install darcs-2.5.2`)

It could then automagically copy/link the resulting binary from
$HOME/Library/Haskell/bin
or
$HOME/.cabal/bin

> * This has happened to me. I pay a price for using darcs: I have a
> tiny project which is primarily of use to Rails developers[1]. A
> friend told me "There's a change I wanted in that. I would have
> written a patch if it was on GitHub". He can be quite a stubborn guy
> though.

Do you know about darcs-bridge?
See Owen's blog off http://planet.darcs.net

We may have some tentative steps towards making it easier for Darcs
users to use GitHub

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>