[darcs-users] rebase feedback and amend-record flexibility

Michael Hendricks michael at ndrix.org
Fri Apr 6 15:31:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM, Gabriel Kerneis <kerneis at pps.jussieu.fr>wrote:

> UI issue: currently you select the patch you want to amend before
> selecting the
> chunks.  With your proposal, you have to select the chunks before, and you
> have
> no guarantee that it will indeed commute past B and that you will be able
> amend A.

Good point.  I've been assuming that suspend/unsuspend will be available,
so we have an amend-record technique that always succeeds (minus
warnings/confirmations Ben and Eric suggested).

Unrelated to the rebase discussion, I personally prefer to choose changes
before choosing which patch to amend.  I always run whatsnew before
amend-record to help me decide which patch I should be amending.  If
amend-record chose changes first, this extra step wouldn't be necessary.

Choosing changes first would also permit automatic patch selection.  I
nearly always use amend-record to squash a change into the most recent
patch on which that change depends (fixing a comment typo, factoring out a
complex expression, etc) but manually searching for that patch is
obnoxious.  I would love to have something like this:

  $ darcs amend-record --dependency
  Shall I add this change? (4/4) [ynW...], or ? for more options: y
  Found dependent patch:
  Wed Apr  4 13:26:08 MDT 2012  Michael Hendricks <michael at ndrix.org>
  * Use fewer resources when twiddling the frobnitz
  Do you want to add these changes? [Yglqk...], or ? for more options:

--
Michael