[darcs-users] rebase feedback and amend-record flexibility

Michael Hendricks michael at ndrix.org
Tue Apr 10 20:41:56 UTC 2012

Hi Florent,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:14 PM, Florent Becker <florent.becker at ens-lyon.org
> wrote:

> For both points, there is at least one common reason: darcs' algorithms
> rely on the fact that if two repositories R1 and R2 share a patch p,
> then they also share any patch p depends on. If you don't ensure that
> invariant, then pull for instance will start doing weird stuff. For
> instance, if r1 and r2 have patches abc with c implicitely depending on
> a and b, if in r1 we coalesce a and b into [ab], what happens when we
> pull from r1 into r2? Should we offer [ab]? How would we merge it? What
> about the case where r1 and r2 coalesced a with b1 and b2 which conflict?

Thank you for the example.  It highlights an assumption I hadn't stated
clearly in the thread.  "darcs amend-record --help" says "Do not copy draft
patches between repositories"  I've been assuming that the user follows
that counsel.  Otherwise, all amend-record operations cause problems,
regardless of patch dependencies.

Given that assumption, abc can't exist in R2 so coalescing abc into [ab]c
in R1 should be safe.

--
Michael