[darcs-users] Request for early user feedback on patch index darcs

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Aug 2 05:23:44 UTC 2012

Eric Kow writes:

 > I'm not sure I as a user would have any idea if I feel the need for
 > such a feature.  What's the difference between such a thing and
 > just using --disable-patch-index in the same way? In what scenarios
 > would a user find this to be useful, like what kind of repositories
 > would they have?

Why not make life easy on both users and developers, and simply
automatically allow every long option in the global defaults file?

Not all options necessarily make sense in both contexts (for example,
--ignore-global-defaults-file :-), but mostly you should expect users
to figure those things out for themselves.  And if a user comes up
with a useful interpretation of something you thought was nonsense,
hey, you learn something!