[darcs-users] darcs UI: send = bundle file; send --mail = mail

Ben Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Fri Aug 17 19:10:39 UTC 2012

Gabriel Kerneis wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 01:18:28PM +0100, Eric Kow wrote:
>> As I currently understand the situation, the
>> default-configed-mailer-I-didn't-even-know-was-there *thinks* it
>> succeeded. So I suppose we need some way of gathering extrinsic evidence
>> that the send worked (and this in the context of trying to send a patch,
>> not go through some kind of darcs configuration process)
>
> CC the default email address of the user doing darcs send, and print a
> message saying: "I've cc'ed you (user at example.com), if you don't receive a
> copy of the patch, consider doing blablabla...".

Nice idea. Not fool-proof and not completely automatic but probably the best
we can do. Another advantage is that there is no need to change anything in
darcs, since this can be done by adding

	send cc user at example.com

to your ~/.darcs/default.

I actually did that for myself at one time, though not to check whether the
send was successful, but to remember which patches exactly I have sent.

> On second thought, it might be rude to CC this address without any
> warning. Just thinking out loud.

So, put the trick in the manual and the wiki/FAQ ("How can I make sure darcs
send actually sends anything?"), and hope people will actually read that.
Might even add it to the 'darcs send --help'.

Problem solved?