[darcs-users] How to change a normal darcs repo into a bare repo?

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Tue Dec 11 11:47:53 UTC 2012

On 11 December 2012 11:40, rnons <remotenonsense at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
> Second question:
>
> On my local machine, I switch to another directory and use `darcs get
> --no-working-dir` to get a bare repo (which I can scp to remote).
>
> However, in a bare repo, `darcs status` will error "darcs failed: error
> opening _darcs/pristine.hashed/34d278e4a......".

That does not sound normal.
I'm afraid I don't have time myself to look into it, and I hope somebody
else on the Darcs team will be able to take over from here.

It's not the expected behaviour

As I understand it, a bare repo can not accept push (what's worse, can not
> accept command)?

A --no-working-dir directory is intended to be used server-side (as you
seem to be doing), and unless Darcs is doing something wrong accept darcs
pushes just fine.  It's sort of what's they're meant for:
push/get/pull-only repos without people actually working in them.

> Well, not until I use `darcs repair`.
> No offence, how can `darcs get --no-working-dir` give me a repo that needs
> repair?

Sounds like something wrong.
It may be easier to do this on the IRC channel so people can ask you more
detailed questions

> Now I have a bare repo, what if I want to checkout the latest patch to
> working directory.

you can darcs pull from that repo, or darcs push to it

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>