[darcs-users] Upcoming 2.8

Michael Hendricks michael at ndrix.org
Sat Feb 25 20:56:33 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 7:21 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> Archi writes:
>
>  > What scenario were you wanting rebase for that patch commutation does not
>  > solve?  There are specific corner cases, but I don't see how corner cases
>  > make for a good marketing feature.
>
> Rebase is mostly about presentation, rather than solving problems.

I agree.  I think of rebase as an efficient user interface for
handling bulk commute, obliterate and amend-record operations.  One
can't solve new problems with rebase, just solve them with less
typing.

For example, if I'm working on a series of patches and I want my
patches to appear towards the front of `darcs changes` output, it'd be
easier to type `darcs rebase` (non-interactive mode) than `darcs send
-a -o temp && darcs obliterate ... && darcs apply temp`

Similarly, if I want to obliterate one patch, combine two other
patches and commute some others, it's easy to use $EDITOR to rearrange
this file

  pick 1 update frobnitz
  pick 2 reorient giz
  pick 3 unschlump borfin
  pick 4 do something dumb
  pick 5 oops, proper giz fix

into this

  pick 1 update frobnitz
  squash 5 oops, proper giz fix
  pick 3 unschlump borfin
  pick 2 reorient giz

Typing the relevant darcs send, obliterate, apply and unrecord
commands is usually more than I want to do.

I've made a little demo video of me using interactive rebase in Git,
for any who haven't used it themselves: http://youtu.be/ZLdcqIvnYPs
(sorry if the video text is too small).

--
Michael