[darcs-users] 2.8 release rebooted

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Sun Jan 15 22:54:27 UTC 2012

Hi,

The 2.8 release has suffered a long hiatus due to various people
becoming busy at the same time.

I'm now trying to get it back on track, and have uploaded 2.8-beta2 to
to hackage: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/darcs-beta-2.7.98.2

The repo is at http://darcs.net/releases/branch-2.8

In view of the significant delay, I've incorporated most of the changes
that have been submitted in the last months, so this beta has some
changes in functionality from 2.8-beta1.

Thanks to some aggressive bug triaging by Mark Stosberg, we've
identified what seem to us to be the crucial issues and dealt with them.
The goal is not to have any regressions from the 2.5 series, but some
bugs that were regressions in the 2.5 series versus 2.4 may remain.

Thanks to Mark and Simon Michael, we also have a draft changelog:
http://wiki.darcs.net/changes%20since%202.5 - this isn't complete yet
but I'll work on filling that in as soon as I can.

I'm not going to commit to a specific timeline but my general plan is to
get new betas out frequently as needed, and then move to the release
candidate and release phases once any urgent problems are resolved.

Ganesh