[darcs-users] 2.8 release rebooted (FreeBSD install feedback)

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Thu Jan 19 06:44:10 UTC 2012

On 17/01/2012 20:17, Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On 17/01/2012 19:31, Mark Stosberg wrote:
>> Thanks for that tip. Were you also on FreeBSD, or another platform. Is
>> this a cabal bug or a darcs problem?
>
> It looks like the tarball is broken. I'm investigating how it got made
> that way (candidates include darcs' slightly wacky release script, and
> the fact that I think I was using a devel version of cabal to build it.)
>
> Sorry for the inconvenience, I'll upload a new beta as soon as I can.

OK, tracked it down. Turned out to be a combination of circumstances:

 - For some reason as yet unknown, the way we invoke cabal's sdist task
leads to the dist/ subdirectory being included in the tarball. This is
harmless in itself, but led to some relatively long filenames being
included.

 - We repack the archive using the GNU tar, rather than using the one
produced by cabal, to work around a different cabal bug.

 - The tar library cabal uses misreports long filenames encoded in a
certain way which seems to be what GNU tar produces, which made cabal
think it was a tarbomb.

I've worked around it for now by explicitly removing the dist folder
when we repack the archive, and also added an explicit check to the
release process that 'cabal unpack' works.

Beta 3 uploaded to hackage now.

Ganesh