[darcs-users] read-only repositories

Owen Stephens darcs at owenstephens.co.uk
Wed Jul 18 16:23:43 UTC 2012

Hi Benjamin,

On 18 July 2012 14:45, Benjamin Franksen <
benjamin.franksen at helmholtz-berlin.de> wrote:
> A long-time issue I have with darcs is that I cannot use read-only
> repositories, even with commands that -- semantically speaking -- do not
> change the repository, such as 'darcs whatsnew'.

How does one create a read-only repo? Or do you mean manually chmodding the
files?

> I am almost sure the issue has come up before and there is probably an
> ancient entry in the bug tracker somewhere. Anyway, thought I might
mention
> it as a sort of reminder.

Yes, I think this is issue1959[1].

See the IRC log[2] for some discussion between Ganesh and myself about why
it's
not "obvious" that it shouldn't happen.

> If you think this belongs to the 'probably easy' category, I might try to
> fix this myself.

I'm not sure, I don't know much about the Cache code, but it would be
welcome
if you do have a poke around and see what you can find out. I imagine we'd
want
just stop darcs dying if it fails to write to a cache (that's without
thinking
about it though).

Cheers,

Owen.