[darcs-users] Request for early user feedback on patch index darcs

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Sun Jul 22 15:16:40 UTC 2012

On 22 Jul 2012, at 05:07, Aditya wrote:
>  If you run changes/annotate/record/.. using patch index darcs on an existing repository, patch index will be created automatically. Alternatively, run optimize --patch-index to exclusively create patch index.

Hmm, so stepping into the shoes of somebody who sort of uses darcs, never reads the mailing list, has never touched a Darcs manual.

What would they experience when they upgrade to the latest and greatest Darcs and then run something innocent like darcs record on their repo (with a long history)?

Also, this sounds like a good place for Darcs to give some feedback into what it's doing (creating the patch index, maybe with an option to cancel?).

>  You can disable patch index using optimize --no-patch-index, and enable it back with optimize --patch-index. If you wish to disable patch index at creation, pass --no-patch-index. A lazy get will implicitly disable patch index, as you require to have all patches to create a patch index.

Why would we want to do this?

>  One of the concerns I already have is automatic creation of patch index on existing repositories. The time it takes to create patch index increases dramatically based on buffer cache. Creating a patch index just after get takes 6 sec, whereas it takes 1min after cleaning the cache(This is for darcs development repo). This suggests that a user could experience a potentially large delay on changes/record/.. .

Would it help to create the patch index after the operation instead of before?  The idea being that even if you Ctrl-C you still get your patch recorded?

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>