[darcs-users] darcs weekly news #98

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Tue Jul 24 08:02:34 UTC 2012

Am Donnerstag, den 12.07.2012, 13:03 -0300 schrieb Guillaume Hoffmann:
> 3.  Eric Kow documented the workflow of having a group of users working with
>     the same repository:
>
>     -   <http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2012-June/026523.html>
>     -   <http://darcs.net/Using/GroupRepo>

Thank you for documenting this. I have some remarks though:

    • In step 4, you assume that the user uses an umask which grants the
      group read rights (and execution rights for directories) by
      default. This is not necessarily the case, since 077 is also a
      typical umask, especially in environments where the default group
      of a user is “users“ instead of a dedicated group for the user.

    • I would swap steps 3 and 4. That way, you do not need the -R
      switch for chmod.

    • Instead of chown :cool-people, I would use chgrp cool-people. This
      applies to steps 2 and 5.

    • In step 5, you do not need the chown/chgrp, as the SGID bit of the
      enclosing directory has already been set.

Best wishes,
Wolfgang