[darcs-users] group repo page on wiki

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 15:34:24 UTC 2012

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for your feedback!

I've tried to merge what I can into
http://darcs.net/Using/GroupRepo

Note that if you'd like to edit the wiki directly, you can register via the web interface (it has a very gentle/easy textcha system for anti-spam), or just darcs get the wiki and send patches (see footer)

On 24 Jul 2012, at 09:02, Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

>    • In step 4, you assume that the user uses an umask which grants the
>      group read rights (and execution rights for directories) by
>      default. This is not necessarily the case, since 077 is also a
>      typical umask, especially in environments where the default group
>      of a user is “users“ instead of a dedicated group for the user.

Are you referring to

   chmod -R g+ws /srv/repos/cool-project

and saying we should throw an 'r' in there as well?

>    • I would swap steps 3 and 4. That way, you do not need the -R
>      switch for chmod.

Alas! I don't think this works.
Perhaps the fault of Darcs?

>    • Instead of chown :cool-people, I would use chgrp cool-people. This
>      applies to steps 2 and 5.

Thanks!

>    • In step 5, you do not need the chown/chgrp, as the SGID bit of the
>      enclosing directory has already been set.

This might be Darcs being bad again, sorry!
I'm afraid I'm not doing a very good job of systematically figuring out what Darcs will do when, so the instructions page is sort of haphazard for now.

It needs a more thorough approach of trying to following instructions verbatim (maybe script them) and seeing what happens (or of course, deeply understanding how darcs behaves wrt permissions, etc)

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>