[darcs-users] darcs cannot apply some patch bundles

Ben Franksen benjamin.franksen at bessy.de
Sun Mar 4 12:28:02 UTC 2012

Hi Eric

thanks for explaining and adding the FAQ entry.

Eric Kow wrote:
> On 3 Mar 2012, at 07:08, Eric Kow wrote:
>> On 3 Mar 2012, at 02:30, Ben Franksen wrote:
>>> I recently had a situation where I could not apply a patch bundle
>>> created using darcs send because darcs apply complained about a missing
>>> patch in the repo. So I pulled the missing patch, could apply the
>>> bundle, and then obliterated the patch I just pulled. So, obviously the
>>> bundle did not depend on teh missing patch, so why did darcs not allow
>>> me to apply it?
>>
>> This question would make a nice FAQ.  I couldn't find any written-up
>> discussions specifically on it (ideally, on http://wiki.darcs.net/FAQ),
>> but I did manage to dig up this old discussion on IRC:
>
> OK, I wrote this up in
>   http://wiki.darcs.net/FAQ#why-does-darcs-apply-force-me-to-get-
unrelated-dependencies

> Hope it helps.

Yes, thanks you.

> See also http://bugs.darcs.net/issue2150 for a placeholder ticket about
> improving this.

As far as I am concerned, the 'darcs send computes minimal context' solution
would be perfect. But I have no idea how difficult that is (both for the
darcs developers and then for darcs). For a compromise, maybe some
approximation of 'minimal' would be good enough in practice.

Cheers
Ben