[darcs-users] darcs middleweight branching (aka in-repo branches)

Eric Kow eric.kow at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 06:26:54 UTC 2012

On 30 Mar 2012, at 22:40, Michael Hendricks wrote:

> Spontaneous branches are one of my favorite Darcs features: flyweight branching, if you will.  Of course, Darcs also supports heavyweight branching by creating a new repository with "darcs get".  I've often wanted middleweight branching or "cheap in-repo local branches" (as issue555 calls them).  This has been a request since 2007.

Cool. Concrete.

Three thoughts:

1. this sort of experimentation useful motivation for darcs-plugin? http://bugs.darcs.net/issue1504 [slightly scared of can-of-worms where flaky but popular plugins become seen as darcs]

2. consider giving each branch its own defaultrepo if you're not doing so already (eg. screened and reviewed should push by default)

3. branch addressing is one issue we haven't really thought about.  You know Git, somebody could maybe go research Hg and Bzr and see how they do it.

Some other ideas about how branching could work:

- http://wiki.darcs.net/Ideas/Branches
- http://wiki.darcs.net/Ideas/NewRepositorySemantics

--
Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>