[darcs-users] Obliterate (missing) final prompt

Gian Piero Carrubba gpiero at rm-rf.it
Tue Sep 18 10:09:08 UTC 2012

Hi all,

as there's been a bit of discussion about UI lately, I'd like to share a
recent experience.

- darcs obliterate
- <selecting patches>
- looking at the screen
- staring at the screen
- screaming "You f* pc... I said rollback. Rollback, NOT obliterate!"
- rewriting a bunch of patches

Ok, I really typed 'obliterate', so it was my fault, not pc's. Anyway,
what surprised me is that I'm pretty sure once upon a time there was a
final capital prompt for the obliterate action on the line: "Don't do
it. Ok, if you really want, you can do it. But don't tell I haven't
warned you". Almost certainly it wouldn't have saved me (if I had read
the screen, I should noticed that obliterate /= rollback), but who
knows?

Looking at the prefs, I didn't find an override for not displaying that
prompt, so either I don't remember correctly, or that prompt have been
removed some when in the last years. Conversely, `darcs revert' (IMHO a
less dangerous action, being `unrevert' available) still displays a
final intimidating prompt.

Ciao,
Gian Piero.