[darcs-users] some special amend-records

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Wed Apr 3 17:06:45 UTC 2013

Hi David,

> This is just a vague idea seen from a user perspective. I think if we
> had a good way of naming groups of small patches we'd maybe not need
> amend-record at all because nobody would care how many iterations my
> "patch" went through because everybody except the developers would
> only consider the resulting patch group.

> Would this be something useful for other Darcs users?

I also like the idea of patch groups; it's something that's been
bubbling around in my own head for some time and also fits with past
feature requests to bundle up changes.

I think the general idea is one that needs some careful
design/exploration of the possibilities and in particular how it would
overlap with the other idea we've discussed, of declaring that patches
can supercede each other. I'd be very happy to discuss that now so we
can get this ready for implementation.

Some other general thoughts occur to me:

 - can patch groups be hierarchical?

 - is it allowed for them to overlap?

 - should we replace the current concept of patch names with patch
groups? This would make your splitting and rejoining workflow very
natural, but would be a big change and might make existing usage less
pleasant.

Cheers,

Ganesh