[darcs-users] providing one-time fast-export in darcs

Guillaume Hoffmann guillaumh at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 19:46:39 UTC 2013

With regards to code duplication/divergence: I am proposing a minimal
feature that would work for most cases. That is, small size of code,
and without trying to be too clever (eg, the conflicts issue). So yes,
there would be some duplication, something like 150 lines.
darcs-bridge would still be useful for more serious cases (incremental
and back-and-forth conversions).

Export is the easiest direction of both because 1) it's read-only 2) a
darcs repository history is simpler than a git or mercurial repository
history (a darcs history is linear, git/hg can have branches and more
than one head). This is what makes the "import" direction harder to
get right.

So my main concern is that a subpar implementation "import" may not
make sense at all. What do you think? I have limited experience with
git branches and don't know how darcs-fastimport treats them.

And yes, if really we want both export and import, then we could think
about using the main command "convert" to store them (and reorganize
it). Otherwise if we go for export only, `darcs log` seems more
appropriate.