[darcs-users] Fwd: Darcs Problems

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat Feb 23 10:28:33 UTC 2013

James Sleeman writes:

 > there are times, many many many times, when I want to bring in some
 > patch from some "branch repo" into some other "branch repo", only to
 > find that the patch I want depends implicitly on patches I don't want,
 > or simply can't accept in the other branch.  Most often, the
 > "dependency" is just because of some trivial modification to a file, but
 > that modification is contained in a much larger patch full of changes I
 > wouldn't want.

"Commit early, commit often, I always say." :-)

Is that a problem for you?  If so, why?  Any suggestions on how to
make that less an issue?

As I've alluded to earlier (opaquely, I suppose), I basically keep
collections of small patches in a plethora of small branches.  They're
often not particularly ordered.  Sometimes that's because they're
independent of each other, sometimes because they're orthogonal pieces
of a larger patch.

I would think that a notion of a set of patches that could organize
such collections would be a natural fit for Darcs since it already
automatically decomposes a committed patch into primitive patches.