[darcs-users] Best way to sync darcs / Darcs Hub -> git / GitHub?

Ash Moran ash.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 16:39:13 UTC 2013

Hi all

A friend of mine (Martin, cc'd as we've been talking about this) has created a site Startups Manchester[1] which is designed to track the activity of people working on software startups. It works by listening to Git commits, either using a post-commit hook in the repository, or – for users of Git clients that don't run hooks – via a web hook from GitHub.

I have a project I'd like to put on the site, but it's stored in darcs and hosted in a private repo on hub.darcs.net. What is the best way to sync a darcs patches into a git repo (the other way round being unnecessary)?

I'd like syncing to work on-demand, rather than automatically. I amend-record patches quite often, so I'd like them to sync when I'm happy with them, rather than immediately. (If you're using the Git hook script that Startups Manchester generates, commits are broadcast immediately.) I'd almost certainly send commits to Startup Manchester the same time I pushed them to Darcs Hub.

The DarcsGit page[2] says the project is effectively broken, so that's presumably no help.

Has anyone solved this before? The fact DarcsGit was made suggests it has been needed before, but maybe nobody is doing it at the moment?

Thanks for any help,
Ash

[1] http://startupsmanchester.com/
[2] http://darcs.net/DarcsGit