[darcs-users] Best way to sync darcs / Darcs Hub -> git / GitHub?

Ash Moran ash.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Wed Feb 27 16:03:55 UTC 2013

On 27 Feb 2013, at 14:36, Owen Stephens <darcs at owenstephens.co.uk> wrote:

> My first thought was: "why not just create a similar hook for darcs"?

Yes, I think you're right. I realised this morning that all I really care about is that any time I record/amend-record, it creates a git commit. It doesn't matter that amend-record will create new commits as it's only a loose statistic I'm collecting.

I'm currently implementing a post-record hook. But for some reason, even though I've got "record posthook rake darcs:post_record" in my defaults, my Rake ("Ruby make") task is only getting the DARCS_FILES environment variable, not DARCS_PATCHES/DARCS_PATCHES_XML I need. No idea why, I'll look into it for a little while longer, failing that I'll just parse `darcs log --last=1`.

> So this sounds like a nice use-case for having user-configurable hooks on Darcs
> Hub. I'm not sure if they exist at all, currently?
>

> Anyway, it feels like a very heavy-weight solution to create a full repo clone
> in git, just to hook into some git post-hook. I think investigating the
> posthook on Darcs Hub approach is better.

A hook an Darcs Hub would probably be ideal, assuming I could run it after each patch was received. Other I'd be back to converting the patches to commits, and I'd need your bridge or something similar. (If Darcs Hub had a GitHub-like web hook system, that would work too, but I'd need to write a parser for the Startups Manchester site.)

Thanks!

Ash

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/