[darcs-users] Darcs get --tag not working?

Lele Gaifax lele at metapensiero.it
Sun Jan 13 14:19:43 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I am a bit surprised by the behavior of "darcs get --tag" and I wonder
if I'm misinterpreting the following statement in the output of "darcs
get --help":

  It is often desiderable to make a copy of a repository that excludes
  some patches. For example, if releases are tagged then `darcs get
  --tag .' would make a copy of the repository as at the latest release.

Does "as at the latest release" actually means "as at the latest
*tagged* release" or effectively "as at the latest *commit*"?

My case is as follows: I have a product on a server, in production,
where I forgot to properly tag the exact version; I made some further
changes in my development branch and when I realized the fact, I went
on the production server and made a tag there, that I subsequently
pulled in my development branch: as expected, doing a "darcs changes"
shows the tag, at the top of all my other changes I recorded.

At this point I wanted to test the exact production version and thus I
tried to "darcs get --tag X" from my *development* branch, but what I
got was actually a copy of the whole development branch, *including*
the changes that are *not* part of the X tag!

I tried with both latest darcs (2.8.1) and a previous version (2.5.2)
with the same result, so the doubt about me doing something wrong...
I'm pretty sure I already did something like that in the past, and it
worked!

I'm attaching a test script that exhibits the unexpected behaviour.