[darcs-users] Patch selection UI when re-visiting non-selected patches.

Owen Stephens darcs at owenstephens.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 18:34:37 UTC 2013

Hi,

Here's a slight annoyance with the patch selection UI that I just experienced.

The short summary is that once you've said n(o) to a patch, you can't go back
to a patch before it (via the k key), and be asked about the patch
again, this is
probably by design, but it was irritating in this case.

To elaborate:

$ darcs init --repo R && cd R
$ touch A B C D E

Now, initially say n(o) to A B C D, but then decide that we do want to include
those patches after all, so go back to A and say y(es):

$ darcs rec -l
    addfile ./A
    Shall I record this change? (1/5)  [ynW...], or ? for more options: n
    addfile ./B
    Shall I record this change? (2/5)  [ynW...], or ? for more options: n
    addfile ./C
    Shall I record this change? (3/5)  [ynW...], or ? for more options: n
    addfile ./D
    Shall I record this change? (4/5)  [ynW...], or ? for more options: n
    addfile ./E
    Shall I record this change? (5/5)  [ynW...], or ? for more options: k
    addfile ./D
    Shall I record this change? (4/5)  [yNw...], or ? for more options: k
    addfile ./C
    Shall I record this change? (3/5)  [yNw...], or ? for more options: k
    addfile ./B
    Shall I record this change? (2/5)  [yNw...], or ? for more options: k
    addfile ./A
    Shall I record this change? (1/5)  [yNw...], or ? for more options: y
    Will not ask whether to record 3 already decided patches.
    addfile ./E
    Shall I record this change? (5/5)  [ynW...], or ? for more options:

Note the "Will not ask whether to record 3 already decided patches". This
behaviour is the same whichever patch you say yes to - you immediately get
taken back to E, with no option to be asked about the other patches.

The only way to select A-D, is to go back to A, say y, then go back to B, say
y, and so on... tedious!

Now there does exist the w(ait) option, which works as expected (once I go back
to A, and say yes, darcs prompts for B,C,D), but in this case I didn't expect
to want to decide later (hence using n in the first place).

I would suggest that since 'k' gives you the ability to go back to patches
we've already said n to, we should be re-prompted for all those that we pass
by with 'k' - in this case, 'k' should reset our choices for B,C,D when we pass
them by. If we don't want to be re-prompted, we could use 'j' to skip forward.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

--
Owen.