[darcs-users] Colouring and pagination

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Mon Jan 28 02:07:41 UTC 2013

Ash Moran writes:

 > It's the duplication of effort that gets me. I agree that a tool
 > shouldn't be forcing everyone to use one particular way. But
 > anything that has to be done with aliases is something that
 > everyone who uses that tool has to configure themselves in their
 > shell.

In other words, you agree that the tool should be configurable, but
you want it to strongly encourage everyone to do it your way in the
name of "usability".  That's a reasonable point of view, I just
disagree with it.

 > The specific command here (darcs changes/log) may be an edge
 > case. By paginating automatically, `git log` shows you the newest
 > changes first. By not paginating, `darcs log` shows you the
 > oldest.

In a project with non-trivial history, you need to limit display in
some way anyway.  I just have several different ways of doing that,
and a pager invoked automatically gets in the way of that.