[darcs-users] Trying to upgrade darcs - cabal error

Ash Moran ash.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Sun Mar 10 19:49:22 UTC 2013

On 10 Mar 2013, at 18:14, Eric Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com> wrote:

> From the output, it sounds like you might still be using your old Homebrew Haskell Platform
> I'm guessing this purely from the fact that you're getting 'The build-tool has reset ENV. --env=std required.' messages

Ok, I've finally sorted it!

This had me completely stumped for ages. then. I was confused because Homebrew was denying anything to do with cabal-install:

% brew uninstall cabal-install
Error: No such keg: /usr/local/Cellar/cabal-install

I flailed around a bit, and tried replacing the Haskell Platform binary with one from Homebrew. Then I discovered I had GHC installed via Homebrew. I didn't think it was a problem, then I realised what my PATH was set to:

    PATH=$HOME/Library/Haskell/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

So zsh was getting cabal from $HOME/Library/Haskell/bin, but then finding ghc in /usr/local/bin (Homebrew) before /usr/bin (Haskell Platform). I have no idea what combinations of libraries it was using.

I have no idea if recompiling ghc from inside Homebrew would have helped, or uninstalling ghc and using Homebrew's haskell-platform package (or recipe, or whatever they're called).

Thanks for your help. I'd really love to be able to help with the Mac continuous integration problem, unfortunately, I just can't spare the time to figure out these sorts of things when I get stuck. (You could argue that since this time I *did* spare the time, I just disproved my point. Stubbornness got the better of me.) There must surely be an simpler yet reliable way for non-Haskell-developers to install darcs on a Mac though.

Anyway, I now have darcs 2.8.4 installed, and that's the main thing :-D

Thanks
Ash

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/