[darcs-users] Wish: darcs diff --related-repo

Benjamin Franksen benjamin.franksen at helmholtz-berlin.de
Tue May 21 10:48:18 UTC 2013

Say we have two related repositories 'head' and 'dev', actually both
branches of the same project, i.e. 'dev' contains a number of patches that
are not in 'head'. Now I want to see the end-result of all I have done in
'dev' compared to the 'head' branch, suitable for displaying in a graphical
diff viewer such as kompare.

I can do 'darcs push ../head --dry-run -v' but the result is not usable for
external diff viewers. One possible solution would be an extra option for
'darcs diff' that selects another (related) repository such as indicated in
the subject line of this message; so I could say

	darcs diff --related-repo=../head --diff-command="kompare %1 %2"

A simple work-around is to (temporarily) tag the 'head' branch, pull the
tag, and then 'darcs diff --from-tag'. This could also hint to a possible
implementation of the feature.

Cheers
--
Ben Franksen