[darcs-users] forking a file

arc arc at vorsicht-bissig.de
Tue Oct 29 08:08:54 UTC 2013

Hi darcs folks,

Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to fork a file in an
intelligent way in darcs?

I've got a whole lot of procedures in one file, and I've decided I
really need two files as there's really two conceptually different sets
of operations, so there really needs to be two libraries, not one.

So I'd like the next commit to have two new files in it, both sharing
the same history as one file up until that point.

Note that I'm not talking about branching a repository.

I've found these things:

a question about the possibility of 'darcs cp':
http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2004-July/002407.html

a wish for a hunk move patch type:
http://bugs.darcs.net/issue978

this more recent message is still talking about hunk moves as something
yet to implement:

http://lists.osuosl.org/pipermail/darcs-users/2013-August/026929.html

so my guess is there's no good way to do this, but I just thought I'd
check...

-arc.