[darcs-users] RFC: GSoC proposal: Distributed Issue Tracking in Darcsden

Eric Kow kowey at darcs.net
Fri Mar 21 15:38:12 UTC 2014

Hi Vikraman,

(I'm afraid I don't have feedback for you specifically, but just
general musing on GSoC)

Exploratory proposals like this are cool in that they explicitly put
Darcs in the interesting-research realm of version control (aside from
being a usable system with a friendly UI). We have some experience
doing exploratory projects (Petr's primitive patches 3 work)

>From a practical standpoint, I'd be a bit nervous about whether or not
we could deliver an actually usable issue tracker, and whether we
would want to maintain something like a darcs issues in the codebase;
on the other hand, part of me thinks that it'd be good for Darcs to
wholeheartedly embrace its Out-Thereness and dive into projects like
this.  For example maybe the work on trying to fit an alternative set
of patch commutation rules would force us to discover lots more
interesting holes in patch theory (or at least force us to reorganise,
refactor, clean up the Darcs library even more).

So what do people think about exploratory GSoC projects?
All other things being equal, how do we want to allocate things?
Should we focus on short-term achievable bits of progress (to darcs
and the ecosystem in general).
Or should we develop a general project framework for letting our freak flag fly?

Eric Kow <http://erickow.com>