[darcs-users] RFC: GSoC proposal: Distributed Issue Tracking in Darcsden

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Fri Mar 21 17:40:28 UTC 2014

On 21/03/2014 15:57, Vikraman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 03:38:12PM +0000, Eric Kow wrote:
>>
>> From a practical standpoint, I'd be a bit nervous about whether or not
>> we could deliver an actually usable issue tracker, and whether we
>> would want to maintain something like a darcs issues in the codebase;
>> on the other hand, part of me thinks that it'd be good for Darcs to
>> wholeheartedly embrace its Out-Thereness and dive into projects like
>> this.  For example maybe the work on trying to fit an alternative set
>> of patch commutation rules would force us to discover lots more
>> interesting holes in patch theory (or at least force us to reorganise,
>> refactor, clean up the Darcs library even more).
>>

> Both Ganesh and Guillaume have expressed concerns over this as well. In
> my defence, I have allocated the initial part of my timeline to building
> a minimal, usable issue tracker, which uses files in a darcs repository
> instead of worrying about patch theoretic stuff. If I don't deliver this
> by the midterm evaluations, feel free to fail me =).

I think it's also worth clarifying that darcsden already has an issue
tracker (albeit fairly basic) so that this initial part of the project
is really just about writing a representation for this data using the
filesystem, and figuring out some details of the workflows surrounding that.

A basic implementation should be mostly straightforward - I recently
refactored darcsden to abstract over the way that its data is stored so
it is almost just a question of writing a replacement backend for
issues, and thinking a little bit about how to integrate that with the
underlying repository to make a good experience for users.

The specific choice of representation would make a difference to how
nicely conflicting issue updates get resolved, but in the worst case
it'll just always be a conflict for two people to have updated the same
issue in parallel, which I don't think is catastrophic.

Cheers,

Ganesh