[darcs-users] Q: language-c upstream repo

Ivan Zakharyaschev imz at altlinux.org
Fri Dec 25 15:40:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

I went further recording patches and tags to the darcs-1 clone of
language-c from Hackage (because I'm not sure which format will be
preferred for requesting a pull to upstream) and wanting to push them to
the darcs-2 clone at hub.darcs.net (becauase I want to save and publish
them somewhere).

I want to share some notes about some encountered problems and how they
were overcome.

On Mon, 21 Dec 2015, Ivan Zakharyaschev wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Dec 2015, Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:

>>  Can you first run "darcs optimize reorder" and then do the conversion?
>
> I did this.
>
> This didn't help with the lost tags (isn't it strange?), but did help with
> being able to push to the darcs-2 repo from hub (a clone of it):

Now I have again converted from my new state of the darcs-1 repo to
darcs-2 and tried to push to (a clone of) the previous state darcs-2
repo (at hub.darcs.net). And have had again that problem ("Failed to
commute common patches").

After some attempts to convert "only a part of all the patches", I've
discovered that obliterating my two new tags helps.

>>  I suspect this is the same bug as http://bugs.darcs.net/issue2466 ,
>>  that is, "dirty" tags (tag that have unrelated patches before them)
>>  are not exported.

One of the tags did indeed not have all preceding patches as its
dependency.

(And the tags were not very useful anyway, being more like branches which
might receive further changes. And I'm going to solve the problem of
saving branches by having several repos at hub.darcs.net.)

Best regards,
Ivan