[darcs-users] summer of code 2015 ideas: wreq / darcsden

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Fri Feb 13 02:56:23 UTC 2015

Ganesh Sittampalam wrote:
> On 09/02/2015 17:22, Guillaume Hoffmann wrote:
>> 1. HTTP system overhaul, a.k.a. "switch to wreq and see what happens".
>> This would involve having wreq (http://www.serpentine.com/wreq/) as
>> default download system, while leaving the current libcurl and HTTP
>> code for benchmarking purposes.
>
> My feeling is that we shouldn't leave the current code. It's a real mess
> and it'll be very hard to both keep it and add a nice interface to wreq.

Hurray for deleting code (Disclaimer: I have not looked at the HTTP code in
particular).

>> 2. Work towards Darcsden as a local UI and other improvements
>
>> * plain files backend (vs current CouchDB)
>> * other stuff to help Darcsden be a local UI (without actually
>> involving any UI work)? any idea?
>
> I think the plain files backend is the main thing here, wherever
> possible it should read existing metadata from the _darcs repository or
> the user's home directory.
>
> I think some UI work is the other natural part to consider, e.g. a UI
> for record/revert etc.

What I personally miss most from darcsden is

(a) A design (colors, fonts, background etc) that is well structured and
nice to look at (patchtag was a lot better in this regard IMO, not to speak
of the competition GitHub, BitBucket...)

(b) A side by side diff viewer.

Cheers
Ben

--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." -- Scott Adams