[darcs-users] currently preferred way to import history from Git

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Fri Jan 23 21:30:49 UTC 2015

Ben Franksen wrote:
> We should really improve the darcs convert import command so that it can
> incrementally import using marks files or some other mechanism.

It is a lot simpler than I thought. darcs convert import needs no marksfile
support, that is already done by git fast-export. All that is needed is to
lift some arbitrary restrictions in the implementation of darcs convert
import. I have quickly hacked together a small patch that circumvents the
restrictions. I really don't know for sure what I am doing here but it seems
to work in a simple example. Just cd to your darcs repo (in my test it was
empty), then do

touch ../gitrepo/git.marks
(cd ../gitrepo && git fast-export --import-marks=git.marks --export-
marks=git.marks) | darcs convert import

When you do this again, it does not change the repo. You could test if you
can convert your git repo with this. If it doesn't work I am willing to dig
deeper into the matter...

Cheers
Ben
--
"Make it so they have to reboot after every typo." -- Scott Adams