[darcs-users] upgrade from darcs-1 to darcs-2

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Wed Mar 4 18:31:53 UTC 2015

Hi Henning,

On 04/03/2015 09:41, Henning Thielemann wrote:

> I read
>    http://darcs.net/FAQ#upgrading-to-darcs-2
>    http://darcs.net/OF
>
> but found no answers to these concerns. The FAQ even states:
>    "It is also important to know that the Darcs team will probably
> support old patch semantics indefinitely, so you do not need to worry
> about your repositories becoming obsolete."
>
> In contrast to that statement it seems that darcs-2.5.2 is the last
> version that supports the darcs-1 format.

Sorry about the confusion! There are three repository formats:
old-fashioned (OF), hashed and darcs-2, but only two patch semantics
(darcs-1 and darcs-2).

old-fashioned and hashed both share the same patch semantics (darcs-1).
As you've discovered, old-fashioned has been retired, but you can
upgrade all those repositories to hashed whilst still maintaining
cross-compatibility between repos etc.

> I started to copy repositories from code.haskell.org to
> hub.darcs.net. I still have a lot of darcs-1 repositories but
> hub.darcs.net requires darcs-2 format. I suspect that when converting
> branches/forks of darcs-1 to darcs-2, the darcs-2 repositories will
> no longer be branches of each other. Am I right?

That's correct.

I plan to add darcs-1 (hashed) support to darcsden (and hence
hub.darcs.net) to address precisely this concern, but haven't got around
to it yet. Given the recent announcement about code.haskell.org, I'll
try to get that done in the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Ganesh