[darcs-users] suspending patches without changing their identity

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Fri Sep 18 15:04:42 UTC 2015

Hi,

One common complaint about rebase is that it changes the identity of a
patch even if you don't actually do something that requires it.

On an implementation level, I think it's hard to safely/accurately track
whether or not something needs to have its identity changed. I'm also not
sure about how the UI should work if it tried to track this - e.g. would
the user be notified when a suspended patch needed to have its identity
changed?

Anyway, I've come up with an alternative interim solution: a separate
supercommand "stash" that maintains a separate suspended state where patch
identity is always preserved. This is still highly experimental and even
the "stash" name is just provisional.

If you'd like to play with it, see the wiki page:

http://darcs.net/Ideas/Stash

Cheers,

Ganesh