[darcs-users] How do disable "do you want to push these patches"?

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Mon Mar 7 20:56:13 UTC 2016

Hi Evan,

On 03/03/2016 02:02, Evan Laforge wrote:
> I've been meaning to bring this up for a long time (ever since 2.10),
> but had some trouble subscribing to darcs-users.
>
> Is there a way to disable the extra  "do you want to push these
> patches" confirmation introduced in 2.10?  It's always redundant for
> me since I already decided about the patches, and it gets me in
> trouble because my habits are to hit 'a' or whatever and then start
> typing something or go to a different window because I assume I'm
> done.  It's especially annoying when I just reviewed 200 hunks and I
> accidentally cancel and now have to go select them again.
>
> It also does silly things like this:
>
>   Shall I pull this patch? (1/1)  [ynW...], or ? for more options: n
>   Do you want to pull these patches? [Yglqk...], or ? for more options: n
>
> As an aside, is there some special thing the prompt lets you do that
> you couldn't do otherwise?  It seems redundant to me because we
> already have an easy undo for most (all?) operations.  I looked in the
> archives and couldn't find any rationale for it, but it may have been
> a long time ago.

I don't think there's a way to disable it. FWIW it took me a while to
get used to it, but now I don't really notice it. I'm not sure whether
it's been a net benefit or not, though.

I don't remember the rationale that well either. I think the name of the
feature when it was in development was "last regrets", so you might find
something if you search for that.

>From what I do remember, the main reason was actually precisely the
problem that's hitting you in reverse; after a long selection session
people were making a decision on the final hunk/patch and then finding
the command finished without them getting a final chance to review. The
behaviour with a single patch is obviously a bit silly in itself, but
was left that way to avoid special cases in the UI which might also be
confusing.

> Also, is there any way to have 'record' go back to asking for a one
> line summary and only opening the editor if you tell it to?  The
> previous behaviour was more convenient for me because the accepted
> hunks are right there to remind me what the summary line should be.
> The current way immediately clears them off of the screen and I have
> to go to a different window for a 'darcs w' to remind myself what they
> were.

You can use --prompt-long-comment, or put 'record prompt-long-comment'
into ~/.darcs/defaults

Cheers,

Ganesh