[darcs-users] roadmap / priorities for Darcs (2016 edition!)

Guillaume Hoffmann guillaumh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 17:29:24 UTC 2016

HI all,

Although it is uncertain at which rate Darcs' development is going to
happen in the next months, I'd like to make a little summary of what
we could do now:

* since we now require GHC >= 7.10 we can grep through the TODO's in
the source code and try to fix those that wish for new GHC features

* also, can we simplify Darcs.Prelude?

* we should investigate if closed type families (present since GHC
7.8) can simplify type witnesses (
http://irclog.perlgeek.de/darcs/2013-07-24#i_7366568 )

* interaction with VCS front-ends: I fixed Darcs support in Meld and
DIffuse this year (stable release of Diffuse pending), we should look
at the Geany VCS plugin, and maybe RabbitVCS, which is the other
relevant front-end I know of.

* once again: a manual... I am glad we did some simplification in
Darcs' set of features before the release of 2.12 so we now have a
more consistent set of commands, patterns and environment variables. I
have a "genManual.sh" script on my computer that mixes the output of
`darcs help markdown` and some wiki pages, and generates a manual in
several formats (HTML, PDF, EPUB) thanks to pandoc. If anyone is
interested we may just start working on it on a hub.darcs.net repo.

thanks,

Guillaume