[darcs-users] darcs hub outage update, 2018-06-17
simon at joyful.com
Sun Jun 17 14:17:42 UTC 2018
Hi all. Here's an update on the current outage at http://hub.darcs.net .
- All data is safe and service will be restored asap.
- This is the fourth day of the incident. Though this is a best-effort free service provided in my "spare" time, I do care about reliability. This is the longest outage we've had. I'm very sorry about it.
- Unfortunately due to press of life events just now I'm not able to drop everything and work on it; I have windows of time. This is contributing to the delay.
- This is an upgrade that went wrong. In short, I upgraded the VPS on which darcs hub runs, without realising that couchdb was not available for the newer OS. (See below).
- Rolling back the VPS upgrade was not practical, as I run other things there as well.
- I guessed wrongly that the new couchdb packages would appear within hours. It now looks like that could take a week, or more. (https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1314)
- In parallel I started building a new VPS, but last night it got compromised. So I must start over with this.
- Hopefully, you all are working productively from your local repo copies. But if you are urgently blocked, there may be something helpful I could do; let me know.
I'll update you when things change. Thanks for your patience.
sm on #darcs IRC channel
> On Jun 14, 2018, at 2:57 PM, Simon Michael <simon at joyful.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I apologise for the darcs hub outage in progress at the moment. I began a systems upgrade to ubuntu bionic, and too late discovered this is a problem for couchdb:
> - ubuntu's couchdb packages are gone
> - couchdb's ubuntu packages are not yet ready
> - building couchdb from source is too costly
> - https://launchpad.net/~couchdb/+archive/ubuntu/master can't be added to my system for some reason
> If you know a quick solution, please contact me here or on #darcs. Otherwise, I'm afraid we will be waiting until https://github.com/apache/couchdb/issues/1314 is complete. I think and hope this will be quite soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the darcs-users