[darcs-users] so long and thanks for all the darcs

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Mon Mar 5 09:33:17 UTC 2018

Am 05.03.2018 um 01:47 schrieb Karl O. Pinc:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 23:23:33 +0100
> Ben Franksen <ben.franksen at online.de> wrote:
>
>> What made me re-consider
>> the idea was that I found I like the way mercurial automatically
>> creates a branch when you pull a conflicting patch.
>
>> But
>> when you look at it from a darcs viewpoint, automatically creating a
>> branch really makes sense only if there is no "clean" merge, that is
>> if there is a conflict; otherwise you just pull patches and that's it.
>
> FYI.  I regularly pull with --no-allow-conflicts.

Me too. I have this set in my ~/.darcs/defaults ever since rebase came out.

>> In contrast, branches are fully symmetric: none is better
>> than the other, patch identities remain unmodified, and you can
>> switch between them easily.
>
> Would be nice to be able to assume that the remote repo
> is not "better".

Yes.

>> These are all pretty raw ideas at the moment, none of it is
>> implemented. There are lots of open questions regarding UI design etc.
>
> I know a lot of thought gets done on IRC

I am mostly using the lists and the bug/patch tracker. However, most of
it is on the darcs-devel list, partly because all changes and comments
in the tracker are auto-forwarded as emails to the devel list.

> but as far as UI
> goes it might be good to run thoughts by this mailing list.

Yes, UI and design of new features should be discussed here in public
where some of our users hang out. Will try to remember. If it starts out
via tracker, we should add darcs-users to the nosy list. This may spam
you with technical details every now and then but I guess that's acceptable.

Cheers
Ben