[darcs-users] so long and thanks for all the darcs

Benjamin Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Tue Mar 20 19:10:33 UTC 2018

On 03/20/2018 10:33 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
[about git's message "you are in 'detached HEAD' state..."]
>  > > But to get that message you need to explicitly checkout a commit that
>  > > is not the target of a branch ref.
>  >
>  > A tag, for instance.
>
> Yes.  I guess that a lot of people would prefer that git add a bunch
> of implementation complexity so that it would warn when changing
> branches away from a detached HEAD, and only if there were commits to
> that branch or trying to push.
I just got that 'detached HEAD' message again and must admit that git
does the right thing here. It does not complain at all but warns me that
new commits may be lost and also tells me how to create a branch to
retain them. Pretty nice actually.

Cheers
Ben