[darcs-users] String encoding issue

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Mar 22 10:42:15 UTC 2018

In the FAQ, I read:

http://darcs.net/FAQ#can-i-write-patch-comments-or-have-an-author-name-with-characters-in-the-full-unicode-spectrum

Can I write patch comments, or have an author name, with characters in the full Unicode spectrum?

Darcs agnosticism w/r/t character encodings can be a problem here if
you are collaborating with people that use different character
encodings. The best practice is to make sure that everybody uses the
UTF-8 encoding.

[End of the FAQ entry]

That's great, I use UTF-8 everywhere. I commit with Unicode characters
(the é at the end of the patch name):

% darcs record
Do you want to record these changes? [Yglqk...], or ? for more options: y
What is the patch name? Draft ressucité
Finished recording patch 'Draft ressucité'

But then darcs push cannot display it, showing the Unicode code point instead:

Date:   Thu Mar 22 10:36:01 GMT 2018
  * Draft ressucit<U+00E9>
Shall I push this patch? (2/2)  [ynW...], or ? for more options: y

Even worse with darcs changes:

patch 33c816655711a5f70d25f892f956b56ac86bfeb1
Date:   Thu Mar 22 10:36:01 GMT 2018
  * Draft ressucit[_<U+00E9>_]

Can darcs work with Unicode patch names?

% darcs --version
2.10.2 (release)

% env |grep LC
LC_IDENTIFICATION=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_NAME=fr_FR.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=fr_FR.utf8

Unicode characters work for all the other programs I use from the Unix
shell.