[darcs-users] How to extend a patch theory to fully commute

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Thu Jul 2 08:57:41 UTC 2020

> Definition: Let A=(a, b, (Qi), (nj), X, Y) be an patch sequence address
> of length n (i.e. (nj) has n names in it). The /separation/ of A is a
> sequence of n extended patches. Patch j in the sequence is the minimal
> form of (a, b, (Qi), nj, X U {before}, Y U {after}), where {before} is
> the set of names that came before j in the sequence and {after} is the
> names that came after.

Could explicitly state which sequence you refer to in the last sentence?
I.e. do you mean (Qi) or (nj) here? The wording ("set of names")
suggests that you refer to (nj). It would also be better if you would
not use j for both the generic index and the particular index here. Here
is a reformulation that is clearer IMO:

Definition: Let A=(a, b, (Qi), (nj), X, Y) be a patch sequence address,
where j ranges from 1 to l (i.e. (nj) has l names in it). The
/separation/ of A is a sequence of l extended patches, such that patch k
in the sequence is the minimal form of (a, b, (Qi), nk, Xk, Yk), where
Xk = X U {nj|j<k} and Yk = Y U {nj|j>k}.

Cheers
Ben