[darcs-users] How to extend a patch theory to fully commute

James Cook jcook at cs.berkeley.edu
Sat Jul 4 21:59:06 UTC 2020

> I think that whenever a sequence of patches starts and ends at a
> primitive context (e.g. this is true of an unconflicted repository)
> you can re-order the patches so that they are all primitive.

I should add: this probably requires allowing new permutations that
weren't in the primitive theory. E.g. you can commute anything past
A;A^, even if you couldn't in the primitive theory. This might mean
some algorithms need to be changed; hopefully these changes will not
make them less efficient.

Maybe I should learn about the algorithms darcs currently uses to
re-order patches as needed for operations like pull and obliterate.

James