[darcs-users] Darcs-Subversion bridge

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Fri Mar 13 00:43:45 UTC 2020

Hi Henning

Am 11.03.20 um 12:37 schrieb Henning Thielemann:
> I want to contribute to a Subversion repository, but I want to edit
> changes and run tests before committing, because in Subversion you can
> hardly revert a commit. I have seen there were some ideas to bridge
> Darcs to Subversion. [1] What is the current state? Has someone managed
> to maintain a bridge between Subversion and Darcs?

I think the situation nowadays is that there is one universal exchange
format between different VCSes and that is the one git introduced, see
https://www.git-scm.com/docs/git-fast-import. Darcs supports that
format, too, with its 'convert export' and 'convert import' commands,
and I am sure Subversion does, too. I have set up a few git mirrors for
some projects I maintain (that natively use darcs), to make it easier
for e.g. CI tooling to be notified of changes. This works okay so far.
It is not the same as a bridge, though. A true brigde, i.e. a repo with
bidirectional update from both VCSes, requires more effort to set up,
but it should be doable.

Anyway, my usual way to contribute to "foreign" projects (which almost
all use git) is to just clone the HEAD, import that version into darcs
(with a single large 'record -la'), then hack away using darcs to record
everything. When i am done, tested everything and cleaned up my history
(still in darcs), I convert the patches to the native format of the
project and propose it for merging. If the project has made progress in
the meantime, then I may first pull an up to date version, record the
difference to my starting point, and then merge that using darcs,
usually using darcs rebase to edit any conflicts out of my patches,
before I do the conversion.

Cheers
Ben