[darcs-users] Darcs equivalent of force-pushing and branching

Ben Franksen ben.franksen at online.de
Sat Sep 11 05:56:23 UTC 2021

Am 11.09.21 um 00:27 schrieb Alexis Praga:
> Thanks Ben for the very interesting answer.
> I wanted to take a stab at it as a newcomer, but you've been quicker !

Sorry!

> I can look into adding a warning and interactively select the patches
> though.

Go ahead. Feel free to amend my patch as you see fit (if you prefer to
keep it as is and add more patches, at least remove the "WIP"). You
could also try to add the option to the 'push' command.

BTW, adding interactive selection of the patches to obliterate in the
target repo means we have to think about what to do if not all patches
are selected. I guess you'll want to fall back to the standard merge for
what remains. And if we do that we might also want to drop the
restriction I added for simplicity, namely that there must not be any
unrecorded changes in the target repo.

We should also, perhaps, reconsider the name of the option, which fits
only the case when the user selects all patches.

Finally, since we now have two patch selection phases we have to choose
whether -a/--all affects both phases or only the first. This is similar
to 'rebase apply' and 'rebase pull' where the behavior is currently that
-a affects only the first phase.

Cheers
Ben
--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered, than answers that
cannot be questioned.  -- Richard Feynman